Well it's been a long time since I last wrote. I've been catching up on all my mystery series reading: V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton, Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George, and Breakdown by Sara Paretsky. In between I read the Hunger Games series, re-read some early Monk books by Anne Perry, and dipped into a few non-fiction books.
You'd think I'd have some profound insights to share. Or, at the very least, some comments or criticisms about the books. But I find that if I don't write about what I read, while I'm reading it, I don't know what I think about what I've read.
Perhaps that's why I've started reading Writing to Learn by William Zinsser. He says that the process of writing forces you to think. If your thinking is muddy, your writing will be unclear. You will need to revise and rewrite until your writing (and thinking) make sense!
I recently listened to a review on the Sara Paretsky book Breakdown, on The Book Report (http://www.bookreportradio.com), and it definitely sounds like my type of book.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link Jethro. I enjoyed the Sara Paretsky interview very much!
DeleteOne of the reasons I like Sara Paretsky's books is that she always interweaves a current issue into the storyline. A previous book villain was a Walmart-type corporation that was destroying the quality of life in a Chicago area neighborhood. Breakdown is set against a backdrop of the current political climate. But the mystery is the thing, to paraphrase Shakespeare, and that's always an interesting unraveling in a Sara Paretsky book! Enjoy!